Monday, June 29, 2009


80. Harris, Charlaine. Three Bedrooms, One Corpse. 240 pages. 6.29.09.


81. Wilde, Oscar. An Ideal Husband. 96 pages. 6.29.09.

Despite my deep and resounding love for Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Grey (for which I have given my sons the middle names Dorian and Henry), I have come to realize I have read shamefully little of his other work. Today I resolved to sit down with one of his well-known plays, and chose An Ideal Husband. The play is everything I've come to expect from Wilde; while the dialog doesn't sound particularly natural, it is infused with the wit and charm of Wilde's satirical authorial pressence, which carries the work well. I appreciated the parallel established between politics and marriage, and enjoyed the ever-present commentary on gender, fashion, society, and art (especially the aesthetic correlation established between Wilde's characters and known artists/styles). I look forward to reading more of Wilde's work - both drama and short stories - in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment