Friday, June 5, 2009



66. Harris, Charlaine. Shakespeare's Landlord. 214 pages. 6.5.09.

While Shakespeare's Landlord certainly isn't the most interesting book I've read this week, I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. The further Harris retreats from the supernatural the stronger her technical writing skills seem to be. This first Lilly Bard novel shows all the insecurities of many series-openers, but succeeds in focusing on the gruesome without being uncharacteristically morbid (for the genre), and in incorporating the small-town setting that is Harris' trademark. My personal interest in mystery novels isn't what it used to be, so it is unlikely I will read more Lilly Bard novels. However, if anyone has been thinking of giving them a try I'd suggest diving in.

No comments:

Post a Comment