Tuesday, February 16, 2010

17.
Author: Mark Twain
Title: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Publication: Barnes and Noble
Pages: 218 pages
Genre: Classic
Acquisition: Purchased for Brooks, Christmas 2009
Date Completed: February 16, 2010
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Somewhere along the way I came up with the notion that I hated Mark Twain's novels. I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for school at some point and, like so many other wonderful works assigned throughout the years, I instantly hated it.

However, not wanting my own prejudices influence the boys, I decided to pick up Tom Sawyer for Brooks for Christmas (and Huck Finn for Max). Tonight Brooks and I finished reading the novel, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Tom Sawyer is a fascinating look at nineteenth-century American boyhood. I found the characters compelling, and the narrative is perfect for bedtime reading (thanks to careful timing and purposeful chapter breaks). I thoroughly enjoyed the work, and look forward to picking up Huck Finn in the future.

Challenges
75-Book Challenge: Book 17
1010 Challenge: YA/Read to the boys Book 2
Off-the-shelf:

No comments:

Post a Comment