Friday, November 27, 2009


132. George, Jean Craighead. My Side of the Mountain. 177 pages. 11.26.09.

My Side of the Mountain is a young adult classic which chronicles a year in the life of Sam Gribbley. Sam leaves his overcrowded home in New York City to seek out the farmland of his ancestors, and learns to survive on the land in the company of a cast of wild creatures. My Side of the Mountain serves as a guidebook at times, as Sam informs his readers what plants are edible, how to make a bed, and how he manages to make leather for his deerskin suit. It is a charming story for young children.

As an adult reading the novel to my toddler I have one problem - comma splices. Oh, the comma splices! I am not a grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, but the errors in George's novel make it very difficult to read out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment