Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thank you for all the well-wishes, everyone! Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day.


119. Armstrong, Kelley. [Frostbitten]. 339 pages. 10.5.09.

Fairly typical of Armstrong, but no less entertaining for it.


120. Verne, Jules. Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. 279 pages. 10.8.09.*

A mysterious creature is haunting the seas, and Professor Aronnax is determined to discover the origins of the beast. However, the encounter brings more than he ever expected, as he is captured by the strange and withdrawn captain of a submarine ship and whirled around the world's oceans. The aquatic wonders he experiences thrill his academic soul, while the actions and motivations of his host leave him questioning both the individual and civilizations at large.

Verne's underwater adventure is the latest novel I have read to my toddler at bedtime, and is far from my favorite. As we finished the third Verne novel we have approached I found myself lamenting a brilliant story bogged down by careless prose; I found that the language was flat and uninspired, and the sentence structure was unbelievably choppy. The failings of the writing itself took away from what would otherwise have been a book full of wonders, and I believe we will leave Verne buried once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment