Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A film review


I went to see "The Hunger Games" tonight, and I thought it very well done. Like most books made into movies it certainly wasn't perfect; to do so just isn't possible, because there is always more story and development in a 300-page novel than there is in a 2.5 hour movie. I was particularly taken with Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss; her portrayal is consistent with my own reading of the novel, and her performance is excellent. The one casting choice I do question is Josh Hutcherson, who is not quite the heartthrob-type I had pictured for his character, but his portrayal is loyal and I can appreciate the sense of realism he brings to the character. Though I did miss some development and found myself questioning (as usual) if the unread viewer would see the same story that I do, I found that I appreciated the choices made by the director. A movie is a different beast than a novel, and I try to treat it as such; although I have seen the film just once I feel comfortable calling it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment