Wednesday, October 19, 2011

83.
Author: Edith Wharton
Title: Ethan Frome
publication: Kindle
Pages:
Genre: Classic
Acquisition:
Date: October 18, 2011
Rating: ****

I have long intended to read Edith Wharton, and when I read a review of Ethan Frome here I decided it would be a strong place to start, and downloaded a copy for my Kindle. And, surprise of surprises, I actually managed to get around to reading it.

What I find most striking about Ethan Frome is not the story itself, which is fairly simple, but Wharton's ability to inspire such strong emotions in the reader. Like the narrator, I found myself captivated by the stooped figure of Ethan himself, and I, too, soon felt a burning desire to discover the "mystery" of his condition. When faced with Ethan's life I was horrified, repulsed at times, and ever grateful for my own existence. I felt nearly instant loathing for Zeena Frome, and suspense every time Ethan set out - sure that this would hold the answer. The conclusion startled me, but did nothing to alleviate the negative emotions the narrative itself inspired, leaving a lasting impression on me as a reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment