Thursday, December 23, 2010

99.
Author: Juliet Blackwell
Title: Secondhand Spirits
Publication: Kindle
Pages:
Genre: mystery
Acquisition:
Date Completed: December 22, 2010
Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5

My response to Juliet Blackwell's Secondhand Spritis varied chapter by chapter, and was overall far more positive towards the end than it was in the beginning. Early in the novel the writing is a bit wooden, and seems focused more on explaining contemporary religious practice - with a BIG dollop of the fantastic - than on developing characters or plot. Blackwell claims that she received this information from extensive interviews with active practitioners, and perhaps it may be interesting to some who are not as familiar, but I found her to be a bit contradictory; early in the novel the main character scoffs at anyone who isn't a "natural" witch, favoring a supernatural representation, and therefore passing judgment on the very people who apparently supplied the information.

However, as the novel progressed the story itself took center stage over the lectures, and the narrative became far more interesting. Certain elements of the mystery itself actually took me by surprise, which I appreciated. I think the bumps and bruises I found along the way may smooth out as the series progresses, and I may very well seek out the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment