Friday, December 3, 2010

31, 89.
Author: Shirley Jackson
Title: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Publication: Paperback
Pages:
Genre: Gothic
Acquisition: Work text
Date Completed: December 2, 2010
Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

I finished my first reading of Jackson's final completed novel around the same time I was considering texts for the fall semester, and I thought for sure that my students would enjoy the creepy tale a bit more than The Picture of Dorian Gray (which remains my favorite novel, despite their opinions). Reading the novel for analysis versus personal pleasure - and both in the same year - has been an interesting experience, and one I've really enjoyed. I am not as blown away as I was with my first reading (perhaps because I know the mystery), but I am nonetheless charmed and delighted by the satirical Gothic. The opinions of my students are split, but I still recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment