Sunday, October 24, 2010

83.
Author: Algernon Blackwood
Title: The Damned
Publication: Kindle E-Book
Pages: 116 pages
Genre: Gothic
Acquisition: Can't remember for the life of me
Date Completed: October 23, 2010
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

I have no recollection of why I downloaded Algernon Blackwood's The Damned onto my Kindle, but I have a feeling I found it during one of my batch-downloads of free gothic texts. I'm sure the title caught my eye, and I know the author sparked my interest, because the name Algernon Blackwood is simply perfect for an author of horror and gothic literature.

According to Wikipedia, that fount of immeasurable wisdom, Blackwood is an English fiction author who is born in Kent in 1869, and dies in 1951. The Damned is a haunted house tale published in 1914, and it explores not only the classic elements of haunting tales, but also the implications and consequences of specific religious beliefs.

The Damned is very satisfying for fans of the Gothic; the tale is creepy yet subtle, and the narrator's voice is perfectly suited to the material. The religious overtones of the story are intriguing, and the criticism gives the reader much more to consider than a "simple" haunting.

Thanks to such a positive introduction, I will certainly seek out more Algernon Blackwood in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment