Saturday, October 2, 2010

79.
Author: Patrick Kill
Title: Swan Lake
Publication: Ebook
Pages:
Genre: horror
Acquisition: reviewed by HugeHorrorFan
Date Completed: October 1, 2010
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

Swan Lake is my first introduction to Patrick Kill, and to the materials available at the Horror Mall. I enjoy the subversive and the taboo, so HugeHorrorFan's review caught my interest. My first impression of Swan Lake was a comparison to Henry Miller's [Under the Roofs of Paris] or perhaps a work by the Marquis de Sade. While one could argue that the intent of the work is to provide a commentary on contemporary beauty, my own reading left me with the impression that Patrick Kill is using a shallow reference to contemporary criticism to provide a forum for exploring alternative sexuality. My personal preference would direct me to deSade or Henry Miller over another Patrick Kill, but I'm glad I gave it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment