Saturday, August 21, 2010

66.
Author: Oscar Wilde
Title: The Critic as Artist
Publication: Paperback
Pages: 113 pages
Genre: Classics, dialog
Acquisition: Work text
Date Completed: August 21, 2010
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

My own response to this text is long, and likely tedious, so I will save my "review" for the classroom. In place of a personal response I would like to share the response of Ernest from page 112:
You have told me many strange things to-night, Gilbert. You have told me that it is more difficult to talk about a thing than to do it, and that to do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world; you have told me that all Art is immoral, and all thought dangerous; that criticism is more creative than creation, and that the highest criticism is that which reveals in the work of Art what the artist had not put there; that it is exactly because a man cannot do a thing that he is the proper judge of it; and that the true critic is unfair, insincere, and not rational. My friend, you are a dreamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment