Wednesday, June 23, 2010

50.
Author: Charles and Mary Lamb
Title: Tales from Shakespeare
Publication: Paperback
Pages: 346 pages
Genre: Nonfiction
Acquisition: Off the shelf
Date Completed: June 22, 2010
Rating: 1 stars out of 5

Children are not inherently stupid; nor are they incapable of processing complex emotional situations. However, the Lambs' Tales from Shakespeare is just one of the publications that has convinced adults everywhere that their poor little darling really aren't very bright, and they must be sheltered from dangerous ideas at all cost!

The cost, in this case, is a Canon King, and confidence in children's intellectual capabilities. I said this before, but I'll say it again: The Lambs present the shell of the plots, but the characters and details are horribly mangled. The language and story construction are clumsy, and I'm amazed I ever made it through the book as a young reader. I have very strong ideas about children and reading material, so I realize I will be in the minority in my opinions. But so they stand.

Neither of us enjoyed the latest bedtime story.

No comments:

Post a Comment