Monday, January 25, 2010

9.
Author: Stefanie Wilder-Taylor
Title: Naptime is the New Happy Hour, and Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down
Publication: New York: Simon Spotlight Entertainment, 2008.
Pages: 208 pages
Genre: Nonfiction, Humor
Acquisition: Borrowed from Alison 1/24/10
Date Completed: January 25, 2010
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

I read Stefanie Wilder-Taylor's first book, Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay, when my first born was six months old (just 20 days after reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution - ha!), and really enjoyed her lighthearted and honest representation of new parenthood. It isn't easy, and it isn't always pretty, but Wilder-Taylor was able to sit back and laugh, and I really appreciated that.

So when a friend (whose son is two days older than my own firstborn son) offered to let me borrow Naptime is the New Happy Hour I knew I was in for a treat. True to form, Wilder-Taylor presents a hilarious look at raising miniature people, and isn't embarrassed to own up to her toddler's cookie intake, or her apprehensions about everything from potty training to preschool. As a mother I don't agree with everything she says, but I don't have to - I appreciate her laid-back attitude and observations even if I don't agree with her conclusions. And the point of the book is to entertain, not instruct on "the" way to raise your kids.

And entertain she does. I really enjoyed this sequel, and would recommend it not only to moms of toddlers, but to anyone who interacts with small children (or maybe just their parents...).

Challenges
75-Book Challenge: Book 9
1010 Challenge: Nonfiction Book 2
Off-the-shelf:

No comments:

Post a Comment