Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Reading Challenge


114. Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men. 118 pages. 9.13.09.

One of the things I remember most from my public school education is the gross lack of enthusiasm of my teachers. The subject was treated as a necessary evil by my instructors themselves, and I believe much of my own reading prejudices have their root in the dry rote that governed the teaching of "classic" literature.

I have abhorred John Steinbeck for as long as I remember, probably due (at least in part) to the mediocre introduction I received at the hands of a high school English teachers who were less than enthused themselves (not all English teachers or public schools are so disappointing- I just happened to have no luck in my school system). And so it was with a mixture of reluctance and curiosity that I accepted Belva's (aka nannybebette) challenge to read Of Mice and Men as part of an I'll Read Yours if You'll Read Mine partnership. She was kind and challenged me to read a very short work that was gathering dust on my shelf, and I completed my half of the challenge this afternoon.

One of the first things I noticed while reading Of Mice and Men was a sense of comfort on the part of the narration; the descriptions and character development seemed so natural that the sense of realism was undeniable. Although there is much that Steinbeck keeps to himself in terms of his main characters, I found Lennie and George to be well-rounded and honest - simple men trying to keep their heads above their water as they pursue (to different degrees) what qualified as "the good life" for two migratory farm hands.

Much to my surprise, I had no real emotional response to the novel. I tend to be a very emotive reader, and more often than not will respond passionately to what I read. However, Steinbeck has left me feeling completely neutral; I was not particularly invested in the characters or events of the book, and found the conclusion neither satisfying nor disappointing. In the end I'm willing to consider this neutrality a positive result of the trial - I didn't hate the book, so I'm more open to reading something along the lives of Travels with Charlie, but I also didn't love it, so I doubt I'll be tackling The Grapes of Wrath anytime soon.

And now, Belva, the ball is in your court. I hope your reading of Carmilla goes well! Or at least mostly painlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment