Monday, August 10, 2009



102. Rowling, J.K. The Tales of Beedle the Bard. 111 pages. 8.10.09.

I am incredibly disappointed with The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling. The book, presented as a collection of wizard fairy tales annotated by Albus Dumbledore, lacks the inventiveness of the children's novels that have made Rowling famous. The short tales themselves, which contain all the elements familiar from classic fairy tales, can be quite charming (I myself enjoy reading classic fairy tales, and Rowling's writing varies very little from the style and intent of classic collections). However, the "extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore" is uninspired and does little to accentuate the collection or the past character of the headmaster of Hogwarts. While I am no Harry Potter fangirl, I did enjoy the original novels, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard does not live up to the imagination Rowling showed in her previous writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment