Sunday, August 9, 2009


101. Colbert, Stephen. I Am America (And So Can You!). 230 pages. 8.9.09.

I am really not sure how to describe this book to anyone who doesn't already know Stephen Colbert, or what his book actually includes. I've attempted to begin this review five different ways, and am finding that I just can't adequately describe it. On his show "The Colbert Report" Stephen Colbert satirizes the Conservative Right through his portrayal of an ultra-conservative reporter, and his book I Am America utilizes the same character and force to represent that satire in printed form. Like "The Colbert Report", the bestseller "attacks" everything from education to gay marriage to race in such a way that highlights what Colbert (and writing team) undoubtedly see as the ludicrous agenda of specific political parties.

I have always enjoyed watching Colbert's show on Comedy Central, and have intended to read his book since it was first published. Of course, like many of the books in my "to be read" stack, the reading actually took place long after it first hit my radar. From my perspective, the level of entertainment of Colbert's book is equal to that of his show, but I gained a new appreciation for the 30-minute increments. After reading the first 100+ pages straight through I found the writing style to be a bit tedious. In hindsight, I believe I would have enjoyed the book more if I took it a chapter or two at a time as opposed to plowing through in two sittings.

But I'm a sucker for footnotes and side notes, and that alone makes the book worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment