Thursday, July 23, 2009



95. Eugenides, Jeffrey. Middlesex. 529 pages. 7.23.09.

I finally returned to Middlesex after a false start in March; at the time I just didn't find the novel interesting, and stopped reading before Desdemona and Lucky reached America. However, I decided to return to the narrative, largely because I am anticipating a visit from the out-of-town friend who originally loaned me her copy.

I know many readers consider Middlesex to be a work of genius, and have read several gushing reviews singing its praise. My own experiences with Eugenides' novel aren't nearly as overwhelmingly positive. I greatly appreciate the point of view of the text, and the dignity with which Eugenides approaches a sensitive subject. As an author, he seems to show a great deal of respect for heavy issues such as gender determination and hermaphroditism; while the subject itself remains a bit of a taboo, Eugenides does not make a sideshow of his main character, but instead humanizes Cal in a way that allows readers to sympathize as people working through the human condition rather than members of some gendered scale looking down on the "other".

But, as I said, my reading was not entirely positive. I felt that Eugenides relied far too heavy on textual information, and the novel is often crowded by the introduction of an academic narrative style. Fascinating passages and interesting anecdotes are often followed by pedantic prose that is intended more to display the author's skill than to supplement the narrative of the character. Likewise, the premise of the novel itself often feels far too contrived, and I found myself drawn more by passages focused Cal as a teenager and adult than to the convoluted history Middlesex constructs. While I'm sure such familial histories exist, the attention focused on specific details made me feel like Eugenides is trying too hard to force his audience to accept his narrative, as opposed to having confidence that the novel itself will sweep his readers away.

In the end I am glad I gave Middlesex a second chance, and I am happy to have made my way through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment