Monday, February 2, 2009

10. Glaspell, Susan. Trifles and "A Jury of her Peers". 48 pages. 1.29.09 +


11. Peacock, Caro. A Dangerous Affair. 303 pages. 2.2.09.


I went into A Dangerous Affair cold, not having read A Foreign Affair. As such, I have to admit that reading the sequel without having read the original novel may in fact have had a negative impact on my reading.

A Dangerous Affair is sweet enough as a young adult novel, but I found it wanting in several ways; Peacock's plot is unoriginal, and her characters are often 2-dimensional. As a student of literature and a Victorian enthusiast I held high hopes for Peacock's novel, and was largely disappointed.

However, I would certainly recommend the book for high school students, especially those that can be difficult to engage.

No comments:

Post a Comment