Tuesday, May 13, 2014

34.
Title: [The Lost Boy]
Author: Greg Ruth
Genre: Graphic Novel
Medium: Hardback
Acquisition: Library Book
Date Completed: May 13, 2014
Rating: ***1/2

The artwork of Greg Ruth's The Lost Boy is breathtaking; the drawings are rich in texture and detail, with a strong sense of realism that allows for the supernatural to be thus more believable.  The story, however, is not what I needed it to be. Beginning the book was a bit like walking into a movie twenty minutes late: I could find the strings of the story enough to piece things together, but can't help feeling that I've missed something greatly significant. Major plot points are left unexplained in what I assume is meant to be a cliffhanger, but instead feels like incomplete writing. I wouldn't be surprised to find that The Lost Boy is the second story of a trilogy, such is the level of development.  Overall, it's worth a look, if only to lose yourself in Ruth's vision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment