Monday, March 17, 2014

22. 
Title: [The Savage Garden]
Author: Peter D'Amato
Genre: Horticulture
Medium: Paperback
Acquisition: Library Book
Date Completed: March 17 2014
Rating: ****

Meet Bugrit. 


This adorable little guy, a three-year-old Venus Flytrap, is my new office mate.  I've been long interested in carnivorous plants, and seeing flytraps in terrariums in a museum gift store eventually lead me to look for them locally.  To my delight, one can purchase carnivorous plants from Amazon, and Bugrit is the first of two to arrive.  But there's one problem: I have no idea how to care for my new charges.

The instructions that came with my first plant are invaluable, but Peter D'Amato's name has come up several times in connection to carnivorous plants, and I gleefully snagged a copy of his book at the library.  The Savage Garden is a beautiful text, with stunning photography and high production quality.  D'Amato obviously knows a thing or two about his subject, and offers rich history of each species, as well as simple instructions for cultivating these plants in one's home and garden.   At times, the text can be a bit dry, as I don't share the author's enthusiasm for differentiating between genus and hybrids and how to catalog breedings.  Still, it is clear why this book has such a strong reputation, and I'm very glad for the history and instructions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment