Tuesday, October 22, 2013

74. 
Title: [Gregor the Overlander]
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages:
Genre: Children's Fantasy
Medium: Kindle
Acquisition: Purchased by rec of a colleague
Date Completed: October 20, 2013
Rating: ***

A colleague revealed himself to be a big fan of Suzanne Collins' work, and, interested in more than The Hunger Games, I asked him for a recommendation.  I could barely finish my sentence before he exclaimed, "Gregor the Overlander!"

Like The Hunger Games, I found that Collins is not actually doing anything new with this book: an eleven-year-old boy and his two-year-old sister fall down a hole in their laundry room, and find themselves in an underground world, where they must go on a quest to save their father who disappeared two years before.  Most elements of the story are familiar, from the quest to the hole to the talking spiders. However, unlike my reading of The Hunger Games, I did not find Collins' spin in Gregor the Overlander to be compelling; there just isn't much that feels new or fresh or even sympathetic. 

One reason I may find the story unappealing is that is seems to be written for a much younger audience; while I enjoy YA for what it is, I find myself more interested in "teenage" YA than elementary-level YA (except for those gems of nostalgia). 

That said, I'll likely give the next in the series a try, if only to give it a full shot.  However, I cannot say that I share my colleague's enthusiasm just yet. 

75. 
Title: [Titus Andronicus]
Author: William Shakespeare
Pages:
Genre: Drama
Medium: Paperback Folger edition
Acquisition: work text
Date Completed: October 21, 2013
Rating: *****

I am a little pleased that Titus has (accidentally) ended up as my 75th text of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment