Thursday, May 2, 2013

37.
Title: [Housekeeping vs. The Dirt]
Author: Nick Hornby
Pages: 200
Genre: Column Collection
Medium: Paperback
Acquisition: Library Book
Date Completed: May 1, 2013
Rating: ***1/2

I had never heard of Nick Hornby or his column, but when I saw a passing mention on Richard's thread I was intrigued; I wasn't sure what to expect from a collection of book reviews, but a library book never hurts.  Actually, what I expected was something either terribly snooty or completely commercial.  What I found was a collection of articles written in a tone I found appealing, about a number of books and authors I've never heard of.  While the articles were amusing enough, and I walked away with one or two items for my next library trip, what I appreciated most about Hornby's book was his introduction.  Specifically, his argument for reading, and the tendency to pass judgement on another's reading habits.  Hornby argues for reading in all genres and types, as best fits the reader - and he argues against snide comments on that material, as someone making the effort to read any book is better than the alternative.  His example of choice is The DaVinci Code, although I'd argue Twilight could take its place today; still, the sentiment is the same, and the snoot is something I remember well from my own undergraduate years, before I started thinking about the works I was reading instead of just reading them because they were "classics."  I also like his encouragement to simply put down books that aren't thrilling: life is too short to be bored with reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment