Tuesday, December 20, 2011

97.
Author: Suzanne Collins
Title: The Hunger Games
publication: Kindle
Pages:
Genre: dystopian
Acquisition:
Date: December 20, 2011
Rating: *****

Recently, my partner and I were in a book store, and he turned to me and said, "The Hunger Games - that's a classic, isn't it?" And because the title has been floating around my subconscious for an untold length of time I frown and say, "Well, I think so." Some books are like that for us - we'll hear a title a number of times, until we tend to think it's much older and more relevant than it is.

Although The Hunger Games isn't actually "a classic," it is certainly poised to be. Collins takes traditional dystopian tropes and melds them into something both horrifying and enthralling. More compelling than 1984, more horrifying than Fahrenheit 451, and more sympathetic than Ender's Game, Collins manages to take a weave a story that, while not original, remains with the reader more than those of her predecessors. This strength lies in the development of her strong protagonist - Katniss - and the pure humanity that Katniss brings to the narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment