Saturday, June 4, 2011

46.
Author(s): Juliet Blackwell
Title: A Cast-Off Coven
Publication: Kindle
Pages:
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Acquisition:
Date Completed: June 3, 2011
Rating: ***1/2

Juliet Blackwell's "Witchcraft Mysteries" are not the most compelling cozy mysteries I've read of late, but I feel like the series has promise. The protagonist - a natural witch and owner of a second-hand clothing store in California - leaves something to be desired (for example, she is established as a character with major trust issues - which I can accept - but she willingly accepts a familiar who is likely a spy from another witch she doesn't trust - which I cannot accept), but her developing character promises to be increasingly compelling as the series continues.

The mystery itself takes a backseat, and there are some narrative elements that I would have liked to have seen further developed, but for the second in a series A Cast-Off Coven isn't far off the mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment