Sunday, September 19, 2010

76a.
Author: Garth Nix
Title: Abhorsen
Publication: Paperback, 2003.
Pages: 102 pages out of 512 completed
Genre: YA Fantasy
Acquisition: Intended as a teaching text for 8th grade
Date Completed: never
Rating: 1 star out of 5

It is rare that I abandon a book, but after 102 pages I am putting down Abhorsen for good. It is in no small way my own fault; I did not realize that it is a later novel in a series, and I picked it up because I had heard wonderful things about this volume in particular.

After 102 pages I still had very little idea what was going on, and absolutely no emotional or intellectual attachment to any of the characters. Making it through a handful of pages felt like a chore, and just looking a the cover leaves me feeling annoyed.

My rating of the book is based purely on my present experience, and is in no way indicative of whether or not I feel others should pursue Nix's series. Reading time is too precious to waste on unappealing books, so I will be moving on to other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment