Sunday, May 30, 2010

43.
Author: Sara Poole
Title: Poison
Publication: St. Martin's, August 2010
Pages: 388 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Acquisition: Advanced Readers' Edition, May 10, 2010
Date Completed: May 29, 2010
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

I do not usually seek out historical fiction, but I believe I am an ideal candidate for Poole's novel, Poison; I know enough about the Borgias and the Italian Renaissance to follow the allusions presented in the novel, but not enough to pick up on any inconsistencies. As such, I really enjoyed Poole's depiction of a young female poisoner working in the Borgia household as the Cardinal works towards the papacy.

The history that inspires Poole is rich in glamor and intrigue, and the author takes advantage of the raw material to present an equally contentious story. The novel is not lacking in action and development.

Poison is not a perfect novel. My primary complaint is that Poole (and Francesca, through her creator) has a tendency to slip into lectures that do not flow with the narrative itself. While I am sure that incorporating realistic facts in a work of fiction can be extremely difficult, I did not find Poole's present attempts successful. I appreciated the effort to include concerns over birth control and the brewing of poisons, but the information itself disrupts the story, and it can take the reader a few paragraphs to actually warm up to the narrative. And I was more than a little disappointed when Francesca interrupted her own narratives by deciding that her knowledge of poisons was too tempting for her audience.

Recommended for fans of historical fiction, the Italian Renaissance, and/or the Borgia family.

No comments:

Post a Comment