Thursday, March 25, 2010

24.
Author: Rebecca M. Hale
Title: How to Wash a Cat
Publication: Berkley Prime Crime, 2010. Paperback.
Pages: 295 pages
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Acquisition: Picked out by partner March 20, 2010
Date Completed: March 25, 2010
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

Rebecca M. Hale's How to Wash a Cat is a feline-full "mystery" that links a San Francisco Gold-Rush-Era mystery with a series of mysterious modern day events. The writing is a bit clumsy at times (I've never known "tender chicken and rice" to crunch, p. 14), and the excessive personification of the cats had me eying my own beasts with suspicion, but the story itself is cute, and the absurd cast of characters is endearing. While the pacing is uneven, it nonetheless kept my attention and provided a nice distraction. I would recommend How to Wash a Cat primarily to cat-loving cozy mystery readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment